Call for Papers and Panels
Date: April 6-7, 2020
Venue: The Aga Khan University's Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, 10 Handyside Street, London N1C 4DN, UK
Submission Deadline: November 17, 2019
Following the success of its conferences in Edinburgh (2014), London (2015 and 2016), Chester (2017), Exeter (2018) and Nottingham (2019), the British Association for Islamic Studies is delighted to invite proposals for individual papers, or whole panels, for its Seventh Annual Conference which will be hosted by the Aga Khan University’s Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, London. Papers and panels may be proposed by senior and early scholars from Professor to PhD level.
Islamic Studies is broadly understood to include all topics and disciplinary approaches to the study of Islam and Muslim societies (majority and minority), across all time periods from the formative to the classical, and pre-modern to the contemporary. Though not an exhaustive list, papers are welcome, for instance, on the following:
• Art, Architecture and Material Culture in the Muslim world
• Diversity within Islam and Islamic Studies
• Economy, Marketing and Finance
• Gender Studies
• Hadith Studies
• History, Intellectual History, History of Science
• Interreligious Relations
• Literature, Media and Cultural Studies including Postcolonial Studies
• Muslims in Africa and Asia
• Muslims in Britain/Europe/North America and other minority contexts
• Philosophy, Theology and Ethics
• Qur’anic and Tafsir Studies
• Representations of Islam and Muslims
• Sociology, Anthropology and Political Science
• Sufism and Mysticism
The deadline for submissions is midnight GMT on Sunday 17th November 2019.
BRAIS is committed to the principles of equality, diversity and inclusivity. We welcome papers from scholars of all backgrounds and will work hard to ensure that BRAIS 2020 is a welcoming environment where everyone feels valued and supported.
More information on: The British Association for Islamic Studies (BRAIS)