We would like to invite Non-Governmental Organizations to apply for consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), if they wish to be considered by the NGO Committee in 2017. Those interested should submit their application and required documents on or before the deadline 1 June 2016.
The privileges of ECOSOC consultative status
ECOSOC remains the only main UN body with a formal framework for NGO participation.
While ECOSOC has the opportunity to avail itself of valuable and expert advice from NGOs, the NGOs in turn also have the opportunity of expressing their views and influencing the work of the Council. NGOs have specialized competence, hands-on experience and flexibility that is of great value to the UN. For instance, by having consultative status, an NGO could:
Provide expert analysis on issues directly from its experience in the field;
- Serve as an early warning agent;
- Help monitor and implement international agreements;
- Help raise public awareness of relevant issues,
- Play a major role in advancing United Nations goals and objectives;
- Contribute with essential information at organization events.
On the other hand, ECOSOC provides NGOs the opportunity to be heard by a truly global audience and contribute to its agenda. An NGO with consultative status can:
- Attend international conferences and events;
- Make written and oral statements at these events;
- Organize side events;
- Enter United Nations premises;
- Have opportunities to network and lobby.
For more information, please visit: